Sustainability is so important to future preservation of our environment, our mountains and ultimately our ski resorts, so we made the decision to make a major change in 2018 and overhaul our entire manufacturing process.
We decided to source only the finest recycled polyester for our outerwear and organic cotton starting with the 2018/2019 season.
ORGANIC COTTON FARMING
Organic cotton farming is carried out globally. Farm land is treated to remove any toxins and sufficient time is given to cleanse the land. Fertilizers and pesticides are not used and the cotton plants are not genetically modified.
The process reduces pollution and water contamination due to removing the chemicals and pesticides from the growing process.
As it is also grown globally also helps reduce the carbon footprint – we are getting ours from Europe to cut down the distance it has to make it to us! All of our soft goods (T-shirts, Hoodies & Sweatshirts) are made from organic cotton and are all GOTS certified.
Production also undergoes annual audits to comply with the FWF Code of Labour Practices in accordance with the International Labour Organisation’s conventions – meaning that the people making our goods are getting paid fairly for doing so!
All of our technical ski jackets and ski suits are eco-friendly and made with 51% recycled polyester made from plastic bottles.
We visited the factories and saw this process from the beginning which we found mind-blowing. And we bet you're also questioning how plastic bottles become ski jackets?
Well, like this:
- Plastic bottles are split up by colour, then cleaned, have their labels & caps removed, and cut up into shavings which then become pellets
- The pellets are then fed through a hopper into huge machine where they are melted down into fibres
- The fibres are then pulled apart, drawn out, cut up, stretched out and baled
- The baled yarn is then woven into fabric as we would know it
- We then print our amazing designs onto the material
- The material is then cut and made into our suits or jackets